.

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Arise and Shine Forth- Super Heroes

In May I was asked to help with our Stake Girls Camp. I LOVED Girls Camp as a young women and was looking forward to the opportunity. Going as a leader is a whole different ball game....., but may be more rewarding because of all the work you put in to make it a great experience for the girls. The last week of June I set out for the responsibility in a raft down the Sandy river. We arrived after and hour and a half of freezing cold waters and new introductions.

The theme for camp was awesome and I was impressed with all of the creativity and kindness from all who attended. Dinner each night had a different theme (historical and scripture heroes, literary heroes, super heroes, Hogwarts)and everyone could dress up for the theme. My favorite night was probably the Hogwarts banquet night. The camp director went all out and had the dining room completely decorated and a whole thanksgiving dinner was served by the camp dad.

After dinner was the special program. This years program revolved around heroic women of the scriptures. Six, 6th year girls, and the Stake President's wife played these women. They were spread out along a hiking trail (at night) and each held a candle that was lit while they told their stories about overcoming trials in their lives and "Coming to see themselves as Christ sees them." At the end of the trail the Young Women that came through went to a lit up area where a long mirror was placed. On the mirror the words were written, "Do you see what he sees?"

It was very powerful presentation,  and what an interesting way to look at these women? I have read their stories many times- Ruth, Esther, Mary-the mother of Christ, Hannah, the Woman who touched Christs robes, Sarah, Emma Smith; but I had never really thought about their stories from their perspectives. As I was editing the scripts prior to camp, I realized just how much I had in common with these women. It brought to life the sisterhood we really do share in life with all of the women we know. We are more alike in our feelings, thoughts and challenges than we realized. The sixth year girls did an excellent job and the younger girls felt the spirit.

I really enjoyed getting to know the sixth year girls. They kept me laughing with their talk of 'hot' celebrities and silly jokes. They did a great job leading the camp and inspiring the younger girls and I know they have great things in store for them.

Sixth year girls and Kirstin who was the main 6th year leader and Assistant Camp Director (One I have my back to)

The end of girls camp was bitter  sweet. We made great strides in friendships and camp songs in just 4 1/2 days, but I was EXHAUSTED! Kirstin, the assistant camp director and who I served with is super camp woman and I learned so much from her and her example.

Justin and Ruth Blazzard

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a great time! I want to see pictures of the super hero capes you made! Girls camp really is the best, isn't it? I have also been thinking about the women in the scriptures lately. I would love to read the script from the program. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete